Friday, August 7, 2009

The BEST Onion Rings Period.

With the ever popular food snobbery movement showing no signs of subsiding, it is with a refreshing note that I publish this post on a food that is neither fresh, nor healthy, nor composed of "hard to pronounce" ingredients from exotic locales.

Today we ordered lunch from Craft Burgers in Toronto. Being a bit of a purist, I opted to get the traditional Cheeseburger combo with coke and onion rings on the side. After I finished the meal though, I realized that the description of the combo was inaccurate. It should have been called an Onion Ring Combo with a coke and cheeseburger on the side.

This is not meant to be a knock on the cheeseburger. It was good. But it wasn't perfect. The meat was a tad on the dry side which in the end got me full but left me generally uninspired. What was lacking in the cheeseburger though was certainly compensated by the onion rings. Those big rings were pure tastebud bliss. The batter crispy and dry, curiously and fabulously devoid of grease. So much so that they almost tasted like a healthy food! The inside was juicy with huge pieces of onion that just melted in the mouth. All of this was complimented by a zesty dipping sauce that had a perfect tinge of spice (I'm pretty sure the dipping sauce was for the rings, but I could be wrong). The onion rings were truly inspirational. I think the best I've ever tried. Even the two resident food snobs, Tuscan Tart and Habanero, were smitten by the zesty rings. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment